Ahh the day of love is near and we are so happy about it as that is what we are all about — Spreading the love! To celebrate we have created these Vegan PB&J You Have My Heart Hand Pies. The crust is made with vegan butter and filled with our own Raspberry Jam. It’s then drizzled with NAKED Organic Peanut Butter Glaze and finished with some freeze dried raspberry crumbles. It’s truly a labor of love for the ones you love.
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min
Servings: 12-14 Hand Pies Depending on the Size of Cookie Cutters
2 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour
8 Oz Vegan Butter Very Cold and cut into cubes
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
6 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
1/4 Cup Spread The Love Raspberry Jam
1 Teaspoon Water
2Tablespoons Maple Syrup
Peanut Butter Glaze
2 Tablespoons Spread The Love NAKED Organic Peanut Butter
3 Tablespoons Organic Powdered Sugar
4 Tablespoons Almond Milk
1 Tablespoon Crushed Freeze Dried Raspberry
Large Heart Cookie Cutter (About 2-3 Inches)
Mini Heart Cookie Cutter (About Half an Inch)
Square or Rectangle Cookie Cutter (About 1 1/2 - 2 Inches)
1. Make the Crust. In a food processor place the flour, salt and sugar and mix for a minute to combine. Then add in all the butter and mix until the dough starts to form pebbles.
2. Add in the water a tablespoon at a time and pulse in between each tablespoon. Once you see the dough start sticking together and start forming a dough stop adding water and take out the dough and form it into 2 disks and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge until you are ready to roll it out.
3. Make the Pies. Pre-Heat Oven to 350C.
4. Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and roll out the dough to be about 1/8 of an inch thick. First cut out the large hearts making sure each one has a pair. Then cut out any square or rectangles in any empty spaces. Cut out a mini heart in one of the heart pairs, so that you can see the jam. Do the same with the squares or rectagles. Set the mini hearts to the side.
5. Place the hearts with no cutouts on a baking sheet. Fill each one equally with Spread The Love Raspberry Jam. About a Teaspoon and spread leaving a border around the edges.
6. Wet the edges with water and top with the hearts with the heart cut out. Press and use a fork to seal the edges pressing down lightly. It also gives it a nice design at the same time. Repeat with the rest of the hearts and squares or rectangles.
7. To attach the mini hearts wet the back with water and place on each hand pie.
8. Make the Wash. Normally an egg wash is used to help brown the dough. We want to keep it vegan so we will just be thinking out some maple syrup to get the same effect. Mix the water and maple syrup together in a small bowl and then use a brush to brush the wash over all the pies.
9. Once done, bake in the oven for 15 minutes until nice and golden brown. Take out of the oven and leave too cool.
10. Make the Peanut Butter Glaze. Mix the Spread The Love Peanut Butter*, powdered sugar and almond milk in a small bowl. Add more of either sugar or milk to get the right pouring consistency. It should drizzle, but not spread.
11. Once the pies are cool use a spoon to drizzle the peanut butter glaze over the pies. Top with some crushed freeze dried raspberries.
*Enjoy a 15% discount on all products through Valentine’s Day when you enter code VALSDAY at checkout.