Makes 15 large brownies
We call these brownies “ultra-fudgy” because they are super-moist and are packed with chocolate flavor. The peanut butter swirl on top creates the perfect contrast to all that fudginess, and adds a little WOW factor, too. Take these to your next summer BBQ and you will be the new hero of the neighborhood!
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or vegan butter, plus more for greasing pan
8 ounces chopped dark chocolate
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
Peanut Butter Swirl Layer:
1/4 cup melted butter, melted vegan butter, or canola oil
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1. Grease a 13 x 9” baking pan and line with greased parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a double boiler over simmering water or a microwave on low power, melt butter and chopped chocolate together. Once smooth, whisk in sugars until well combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add salt and vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
4. Beginning in small batches, whisk chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until well combined. Fold in flour until just combined.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, melted butter or oil, powdered sugar, and salt until smooth.
6. Pour brownie layer batter into the prepared pan. Drop the peanut butter batter in spoonfuls randomly across the top of the brownie batter, then create a swirl pattern using a knife or toothpick.
7. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with crumbs stuck to it (not completely wet). Cool completely before slicing and serving (as difficult as that may be!).
These brownies taste best on the second day after baking! Bake them ahead of time, let cool completely, wrap tightly, and store at room temperature. -
Brownie batter has been adapted from NYT Cooking’s “Supernatural Brownies”