Yield: about 2 dozen cookies
These classic peanut butter cookies are the ones you remember from childhood, but may even be a little better! We back off a little bit on the sugar and add a little bit of salt in our version, which really helps to bring out that peanut butter flavor.
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or vegan butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until just combined. Then, add the peanut butter and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth.
4. Working in batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon measure, drop the dough in heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. With your hands, roll the dough balls until smooth, and then using a fork, press a criss-cross pattern into the top of each cookie. Be sure to leave 1-2 inches between each pressed cookie, as they will spread in the oven.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until just golden brown on the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Cookies remain fresh when stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.