Vegan Kare Kare
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Traditionally this Filipino Peanut Stew is served with oxtail. Taking the cooking time up to 6 hours. Making it vegan cuts down the cooking time to just 40 minutes!! Our organic peanut butter is used as a flavoring component along with annatto powder giving the stew a depth of flavor that is unexpected but so delish. Serve with white rice or cauliflower rice.
1/2 Cup Naked Spread The Love Peanut Butter
1/4 Olive Oil Divided into Tow Portions
12 Mini Eggplants or 2 Large Eggplant Cut into Large Cubes
1 Pound Mushrooms
1 Red Onion Diced
4 Cloves Garlic Diced
5 oz Canned Bamboo Shoots Drained and Washed
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
4 Cups Water (reserve 1/4 cup from this)
1 1/2 Tablespoon Annato Powder
1 Tablespoon Arrow Root Powder
1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos
4 Stalks Baby Bok Choy
1 Bunch Long Beans Cut into 2 Inch Sections
1. Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a sheet pan place the egg plant and the mushrooms. Drizzle half the olive oil all over and then season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
2. Roast for 20 minutes and take out the mushrooms and roast the eggplant for a further 10 minutes until soft and golden. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the pan.
3. While the mushrooms and eggplant are roasting In a large stock pot heat up the remaining olive oil using medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add in the garlic and bamboo shoots and cook until fragrant. About 3 minutes.
4. Pour in the vegetable broth and water and bring to a slight simmer (about 5 minutes) and then add in the Spread the Love Naked Peanut Butter. Mix well to incorporate into the soup.
5. In a small bowl mix together the annatto and arrowroot powder. Add in the reserved 1/4 cup water and mix well. Add that to the peanut soup.
6. Season by adding the coconut aminos and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add more of salt or pepper if needed according to your taste.
7. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes to develop flavor.
8. Add in the long beans and cook for 2 minutes and turn off the heat. Add in the baby bok choy just to heat through.
9. To make the Cauliflower Garlic Rice place all the ingredients on a sheet pan, mix well and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes until nice and golden brown. You can do this step right after roasting the mushrooms and eggplant using the same 350 degree temperature.
10. To serve plate the rice on a platter and then top with the stew making sure you serve all the vegetables. Don’t forget to add the roasted mushrooms and eggplant and top with more soup. We like to serve it on the side so that you can ladle more of the peanut soup goodness as needed.
Traditionally this is served with a fermented shrimp paste on the side. We found that sprinkling a little truffle zest gives it that umami pop. An even better alternative is serving with some roasted peanuts flavored with truffle oil or salt.
You can make the garlic rice with regular white or brown rice. Make sure you do use day old rice so that it does not stick to the pan. To make use a wok or sauté pan. Heat up the oil and up the garlic from 2 to 4 cloves. Fry the garlic until golden brown and fragrant. Add in the day old cold rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes until heated up and some of the rice starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.