Spiced Almond Butter Snowball Cookies
These festive cookies are naturally gluten free and can easily be made vegan - and they also happen to be delicious! Classic holiday spices add warmth and depth of flavor to creamy almond butter, while fresh orange zest adds a touch of brightness. These are the perfect compliment to any holiday cookie spread!
1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
3 tbsp butter or vegan butter substitute
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of one small orange
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, all the spices, salt, and orange zest.
3. Melt the butter and almond butter together in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until well combined and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until a dough forms. It will be on the dry side - you may need to use your hands to get it to fully form.
5. Using a 1 tbsp measure, create 12 balls of dough, and roll them in the remaining powdered sugar. Place them on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with a bit more powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
*note: if preferred, the cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg may be swapped out for 2 1/4 tsp of your favorite pumpkin pie spice mix.