These adorable little ghost treats are a twist on an old classic - except our delicious almond butter and a sweetener of your choice take the place of marshmallows. These are wonderful year round, too: you can whip up a quick batch and cut them into squares and serve without the glaze for an everyday healthy treat. If you’re making these for a group, this recipe doubles easily.
Yield: 8 Treats
For the Rice Crispy Treats:
- 1/3 cup Spread The Love® Unsalted Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup sticky sweetener of choice (we love honey, brown rice syrup, or barley malt syrup)
- 1 tbsp neutral oil, such as coconut or avocado oil
- 3 cups brown rice crisps cereal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 - 2 tbsp water
- Chocolate chips
- Line a 7x11-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the oil and syrup or honey in a saucepan over low heat and bring to a gentle boil. Let the mixture bubble for about a minute, then remove from the heat and stir in the almond butter, vanilla extract and salt. ⠀
- In a large mixing bowl, add the warm liquid mixture to the cereal, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, spreading it to the edges of the pan using a spoon. Once the mixture is evenly distributed throughout the pan, press down on the mixture very firmly and smooth out the top using either the back of a spoon or another piece of parchment paper and your hands.
- Place the dish in the refrigerator for about one hour, or until firm. (If you're in a hurry, you can also pop them into the freezer for about 20 - 30 minutes.)
- Once cool and firm, remove the rice mixture from the pan and cut out shapes using a ghost-shaped cookie cutter. If desired, insert lollipop sticks into the bottom of the cut shapes, and return the treats to the refrigerator while you prepare the glaze.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sifted powdered sugar and water. Add more water as needed to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the glaze on top of the treats, and add chocolate chips to each ghost for eyes. Refrigerate until the glaze has set, about 30 minutes, and enjoy!