Almond Butter Banana Bread
This banana bread is the perfect intersection of healthy + decadence - it’s packed with fiber and nutrients, and it’s naturally sweetened with bananas and real maple syrup. But add in some dark chocolate chips and swirls of creamy almond butter, and suddenly breakfast feels like a special treat!
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
1 egg (or 1/4 cup applesauce for a vegan variation)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 overripe mashed bananas (about 1 cup)
1 banana halved lengthwise for topping
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
Optional: 2 tsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the maple syrup, yogurt, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
3. To the wet ingredients, add the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, and mix until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and the almond butter gently, stopping before almond butter is completely incorporated.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. If desired, top with halved banana and a sprinkle of brown sugar to achieve a caramelized effect.
5. Bake banana bread for 20 minutes, then cover with foil to prevent over-browning. Return to oven and bake an additional 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.