Vegan Crispy Almond Flax Bars
This is our take on the little known candy bar called the Whatchamacallit. It was uber popular during the 90’s. Since everything 90’s is all the range now we are brining it back, but more nutrient dense, filled with better for you ingredients.
One of those ingredients is chocolate made with cocoa beans from the Philippines. We are so stoked to partner with our new found friends Oodaalolly! They source their cocoa beans direct from a farm in the Philippines and brings them over to the US to be made into the most lush dark chocolate. We use the chocolate as coating in our candy bars.
Makes 12 Bars
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Freeze Time: At least 1 hour to overnight
1/2 Cup Coconut Caramel
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 Scoop Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder
3 1/2 Cups Puffed Brown Rice
6oz 70% Oodaalolly Chocolate (2 packets)
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Nibs
(Optional) Dried Malunggay (Moringa) can also sub powder
8x8 baking pan
Coconut Oil Spray
1. Line the baking pan with foil and spray with coconut oil.
2. Place our Spread The Love Almond Flax Butter, coconut caramel and coconut Oil in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute. Mix well to ensure it’s all melted. If there are still chunks microwave in 15 second increments. Add in the protein powder and mix well. Add in the puffed brown rice and mix well.
3. Pour the filling into the lined pan and flatten with your hands. Place in the freezer for at minimum an hour or up to overnight.
4. Take out of the freezer and cut into 12 bars. Place back in the freezer while you make the coating.
5. To make the coating put the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute. Mix well to make sure there are no chocolate or coconut oil chunks. Microwave in 30 second increments if there is still some.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Take the bars out of the freezer again and using the two forks dip and turn each bar into the coating. Let the excess chocolate drip and leave to harden on the baking sheet. Repeat for all the bars.
8. Scrape any leftover chocolate and drizzle on the ends of the chocolate. Then finish by sprinkling the ends with cocoa nibs and malunggay leaves or powder.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.