Sans Rival is Filipino dessert made with infinite layers of cashew meringue and butter cream. Being super decedent it only makes appearances at Birthday parties and Holiday Celebrations.
In our recipe we stripped it down to make it easier to make, but still has the soul of the recipe. We use an Australian dessert called Pavlova as the base and break that up into shards and cover it with butter cream. For a savory counter point we top it off with our new Almond Cashew Power Butter and some dry roasted, lightly salted cashews. So you get crispy, smooth, sweet and salty all in one perfect bite. The name literally means without rival. No other cake or dessert is better that this.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
4 Egg Whites
Pinch of Super Fine Salt
3/4 Cup Super Fine Sugar
1 Teaspoon Arrowroot Powder
1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Vegan Butter at room temperature
1 Tablespoon Icing Sugar
1 Tablespoon Almond Milk at room temperature
1/2 Cup Lightly Crushed Roasted and Lightly Salted Cashews
Tiny Mint Leaves
Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer with Whisk Attachment
1. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place the egg whites and salt in a large bowl and whisk with a hand or stand mixer until very stiff peaks form. While the mixer is still on add in the sugar in a very slow stream. Keep mixing at high speed until the sugar melts into the the egg whites. Stop the mixer. Take some egg whites in between your fingers. Rub together. If it still feels rough, mix for a further 5 minutes and check again. If it feels super smooth stop the mixer.
3. Using a rubber spatula fold in the arrowroot, vinegar and vanilla extract until fully incorporated.
4. Spoon the mixture on the baking tray making sure it’s all level. Since we are going to break it up at serving, you don’t need to be particularly neat here.
5. Bake for 1 hour and then turn down the oven temperature to 200 and bake for a further 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave to cool fully.
6. It’s good to make this early in the morning so that you can just leave it in the oven until it’s time to serve. While it’s cooling make the butter cream.
7. Place the butter in a bowl and use a hand or stand mixer to whip it up nice and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar and mix until incorporated. Add in the almond milk to thin out the butter cream so that it’s spreading consistency.
Take the pavlova out of the oven. Break into random shaped shards and place on a large serving platter. Spread the butter cream on top and then drizzle the Almond Cashew Power Butter all over. Sprinkle with the cashews and mint. Serve right away.